Saturday, July 3, 2010

Preserve It . . . Canning Corner - Bottled Apples!

Today's Canning Recipe is My Absolute Favorite
Thing I've Ever Canned.
Bottled Apples
are very easy to do and can be used to make
the most amazing applesauce, apple pie, apple crisp and
if you like, they're even good straight from the jar!
I got this recipe from Idonna Murray,
Bless her heart for sharring . . . She's so GREAT!
Here's the Recipe:
Canning apples is alot like canning peaches.
Peel and Slice the Apples.
I do it this way, just because I like a bigger piece of apple.
But I've done it this way to and it's definately alot faster!
If you peel and slice your apples this way you will end up
with "slinkie apples" . . . just slice the whole "slinkie"
in half before adding the sugar.
Pour Sugar Over the Apples . . . Enough to Coat the Apples.
I sprinkle the sugar after I have a large bowl full
and then just lightly toss the apples to coat them with the sugar.
I usually do alot of apples and end up needing to put them into
a 5-gallon bucket, but you can do as many as you want.
Pour the sugar coated apples into a 5-gallon bucket
if you are making a big batch and cover with plastic wrap.
Smaller batches are made the same but can be kept in the bowl
you were using and covered the same way.
The apples will sit over night and in the morning they will be a little bit
brown . . . but don't worry, that's how they are supposed to look.
Layer apples into 1-quart canning jars and then add enough of the
syrup to fill the jar to within 1/2" from the top of the jar.
Make a sugar syrup like the one you use for peaches.
(I usually do 1 part sugar to 2 parts water and bring to a boil.)
Wipe jar rims to make sure they are clean.
Add a new lid and tighten finger tight with a canning ring.
Process jars in a water bath canner for 25 minutes.
Make sure all of the jars have a seal before storing.
Unsealed jars need to be refrigerated.
After a couple of weeks, you will start to notice that there
isn't alot of liquid left in the jar.  The apples will absorb the liquid,
which is exactly what's supposed to happen, so don't panic
and throw them all away.
(Which is what I almost did the first time I canned them.)
I usually like the more sour apple the best for canning,
just because it tastes so good in desserts,
but I have canned them all and never been dissappointed!
We're a little ways away from apple season,
but I wanted to make sure you had a chance to try this one.

No comments: