Friday, November 5, 2010

Preserve It . . . Canning Corner: Hot Pepper Jelly!




Today's Recipe is for:
Hot Pepper Jelly!
I always look forward to getting a jar of two for Christmas.
It tastes great on crackers and can also be used with
your chicken recipes.
Just spread some of the jam on your chicken and bake.
Serve over rice.
Sooooo Good!
Here's the Recipe:
Ingredients:
9-hot banana peppers
3-jalapeƱo peppers
Any combination of hot peppers will work.
I like to use red hot peppers.
You need approximately 3 1/2 cups of puree)
1/4 cup of cider vinegar
1-cup vinegar
6-cups sugar
2 to 3 pouches Certo
Instructions:
Place peppers in blender with 1/4 cup of cider vinegar and puree.
Boil with 1-cup vinegar and 6-cups sugar, taking off skim twice.
Add 2 to 3 pouches Certo.
Boil 2 more minutes
Remove, skim and pour into clean sterilized jars.
Leave 1/4" headspace.
Wipe the rim of the jar.
Add new simmered lids.
Tighten the ring finger tight.
Process jars in a waterbath canner.
1/2 Pint jars will need to process for 5 minutes.
Pint jars will need to process for 7 minutes.
Here's the PDF:
Hot Pepper Jelly
Thank You for being so patient!
I have moved my whole house in 3 days.
My oldest is being ordained an Elder on Sunday . . . tears are in my eyeballs!
Yay!
I'm so excited for him.  Needless to say, it's been a busy few days!
For the first time in my life I have been able to sleep
through the night . . . Woot Woot!


4 comments:

Stephanie from GardenTherapy.ca said...

Congrats on your move and son's achievements! I made a festive hot pepper jelly this year - with red and green flecks suspended in the jar it's ready for the holidays!

Scott said...

what is the puree? You listed it as needing to be mixed in blender with peppers.
Thanks

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

For the puree, I just put the peppers in my food processor and blend well. If you like bigger chunks of peppers, you will not need to blend it as long. My family likes the flavor, not the chunks, so I blend it well.
Hope that helps!
Trish

JRoberts said...

I have a version we make every year with habaneros and apricots...goes over REALLY well with everyone that tries it. (although we like things HOT so it is quite often too hot for others so I make a more mild version for giving away)